Federal Obscenity Charges Require An Experienced Attorney
Federal obscenity offenses are complex and harshly punished. If you have been accused of a federal obscenity charge in Texas, you are most likely facing serious and lasting consequences. At The Sanchez Law Firm, our attorney Sergio Sanchez is a former federal prosecutor in the Valley. Now, he works aggressively to defend clients in Edinburg through South Padre, and across the state of Texas, who are facing federal criminal charges.
Obscene Content: No First Amendment Protection
Obscenity is defined as a category of pornography that has no serious, literary, artistic, political or scientific value, and violates community standards.
Federal obscenity charges include:
- Possession of obscene matter on federal property, with the intent to sell
- Possession and/or distribution of child pornography
- Mailing obscene or crime-inciting matter
- Importation or transportation of obscene matters
- Mailing indecent matter on wrappers or envelopes
- Broadcasting obscene language
- Transportation of obscene matters for sale or distribution
- Engaging in the business of selling or transferring obscene matter
- Obscene visual representations of the sexual abuse of children
- Transfer of obscene material to minors
- Misleading domain names on the internet
- Misleading words or digital images on the internet
The First Amendment protects the freedom of speech. While pornographic material can be protected as free speech, there are two exceptions: obscenity and child pornography. Obscenity charges are some of the most controversial and confusing nuances of First Amendment law. If you have been charged with a federal obscenity crime, you need a criminal defense lawyer who has an intricate understanding of these federal crimes.
Call Today To Hire A Former Prosecutor
Federal charges can result in serious consequences. Fight them by hiring an aggressive criminal defense attorney. Call us today at 956-687-7700 or email us to schedule your free consultation. Hablamos español.